Ingredients (2 servings)
16 oz organic pumpkin (or sweet potato, carrot)
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon red chili ﬂakes
1 pinch ground ginger
Salt & pepper
Sour cream (optional garnish)
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed according to box directions)
Flour for dusting
1/4 cup pistachios roasted & salted, crushed
1/4 cup parmesan or cream cheese
1/4 cup plant-based milk or egg
1. In a small pan over medium-high heat, sauté onions, garlic and red chili ﬂakes in olive oil until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
2. Add onion & garlic mixture plus pumpkin, broth, smoked paprika to a blender. Blend for 60 seconds, until smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste. Thin with additional broth or water to your desired consistency.
3. Garnish with sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a lightly ﬂoured surface, unfold the puff pastry.
3. Lightly sprinkle the pastry sheet(s) with ﬂour. Grab a rolling pin and roll the pastry to between 1/8- and 1/4-inch thickness.
4. Combine the cheese and pistachios, then sprinkle half the mixture evenly over half of the pastry.
5. Fold the pastry half without toppings over the parmesan/pistachios. Press gently.
6. Lightly brush the pastry with some of the egg mixture or plant-based milk. Sprinkle the remaining cheese/pistachio mixture on top of the pastry.
7. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, slice the puff into 12 strips, each about 1/2 inch wide.
8. Place the strips on the baking sheets, seasoned side up. Working with 1 twist at a time, hold an end in each hand and twist the strips at least twice, twisting in opposite directions to create a long spiral. Place it back on the sheet and repeat. Bake the twists until puffed and golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.