Sharing an update on her health, Samantha wrote “The doctors are confident that I will make a complete recovery very soon. I have had good days and bad days…. physically and emotionally…. and even when it feels like I can’t handle one more day of this, somehow that moment passes. I guess it can only mean that I am one more day closer to recovery. I love you.. (black heart emoji). THIS TOO SHALL PASS.”
This unfortunate news has captured the interest of her fans and public alike around myositis, the disease that leads to weakening of the muscles. Here’s why this autoimmune disease is far worse than we think it is.
What is Myositis?
Myositis is a rare condition that causes muscles to become weak, painful and tired. The word myositis simply refers to inflammation in muscles. When muscles are inflamed, they may be swollen and susceptible to pain.
What are some initial ill effects of Myositis on the body?
1. Myositis affects the muscles around the shoulders, hips and thighs. The pain can also extend to other parts of the body such as the skin, lungs or heart.
2. Myositis can also hamper basic functions such as breathing and swallowing by affecting the muscles that carry out these tasks.
3. The weakening and tiredness of the muscles can make patients dealing with it to fall over and lose balance.
4. Puffiness and discolouration around the eyes is also one of the common signs of myositis.
5. Everyday tasks such as brushing hair, climbing stairs, and getting in and out of cars can become difficult due to weak and tired muscles.
Why is Myositis a bigger hazard than we think?
Our body’s immune system is our natural self-defence system against all sorts of diseases and pathogens. A healthy immune system protects us from injury, infection, and illness. However, if one develops an autoimmune condition, such as myositis, the immune system becomes confused and attacks our body’s own healthy tissues mistakenly. If someone has an autoimmune condition the body can create inflammation in part where there is no infection to fight. The unnecessary inflammation can lead to pain, injuries and swelling.
Treatment of myositis
If you’re diagnosed with polymyositis, steroids are administered to the patient. However, if they don’t show results, the following therapies can really help:
1. Regular exercise
3. Occupational therapy
4. Speech therapy – if you’re having difficulty in speaking and swallowing food.
Many reports have suggested that Samantha has flown out of India for her treatment as she was unwell for long. Well wishes for her health have started pouring in from the cinema world and fans alike. We wish a speedy recovery to Samantha!